(00 33) 2 98 39 62 25
Contact Fax (by appointment) :
(00 33) 9 50 04 32 70
Headquarters : 5 Hent Meneyer, 29 950 Gouesnac'h, France.
Postal address : 2 impasse de Kervégant, 29 350 Moëlan sur mer, France.

Plounéour-Trez is a rural commune along the Channel, on what is known as the 'Coast of Legends'. Sitting at one end of a sweeping natural bay, Plounéour-Trez forms a semi-peninsula between the bays of Goulven and Pontusval, with four gentle headlands: Kerguélen, Beg Culéren, Beg ar Groaz and Beg an Toullouest. Encompassing long beaches (Kerurus, Menhir and Lividic), the coast is mainly sandy, with low dunes, especially in the western part facing Goulven bay, which is left very exposed at low tide; it becomes more rocky to the north-west, going towards Brignogan, and particularly at the headlands.

For a long time, Plounéour-Trez and the whole of this area which became known as the Pays Pagan (Pagan country) had a reputation, probably a little exaggerated, of being a land of shipwreckers. Lannilis, Kerlouan, Guissény, Kertugal, Plounéour and many other places were basically the haunt of bands of men intent on the downfall of others. The inhabitants were more feared than the reefs, upon which they waited, knife in hand, looking out for shipwrecked vessels and sailors.

A rough Pagan country of shipwreckers, then, and also kelp gatherers, whose activity also caused numerous troubles over the centuries. The inhabitants of these coastal parishes collected seaweed for a living and often quarrelled about territorial boundaries and property in relation to their livelihood.

In recent times, a commercial zone has developed along the D10 departmental road, as you approach the neighbouring commune of Kerlouan.

The name of the commune is Breton and means the parish (ploue) of Saint Enéour and the beach (trez). Quite sizeable in area (10.68km2), the commune boasts a large swathe of countryside, mostly flat, apart from the south-western part which reaches 45m altitude near to the hamlet of Toulran.

There are some lovely walks around here along the long-distance walking route, the GR34. Sites of interest include the Menhir Sud de Pontusval (a large standing stone), which is classified as a historic monument, and the parish enclosure comprising a bell tower, calvary monument (1506) and ossuary, also listed monuments. Also the church itself, l’Eglise Saint-Pierre, dating from 1889, with its two bell chambers built one above the other within its octagonal tower, as well as the Menbleiz Calvary (16th or 17th century), the Menmeur cross (1500 but restored in 1821), and the Langueno fountain-washhouse.